REAL SALT LAKE TO START ACADEMY PROGRAM IN UTAH
RSL Under-12 Team to be first Utah-based club under the RSL Academy; Open trials to be held in May 2014
SANDY, Utah (Thursday, April 24, 2014) – Real Salt Lake has announced that it has created its first-ever Under-12 youth soccer team, the first Utah-based club under the RSL Academy.
The U-12 team is the newest addition to the RSL player program and will jumpstart an age-group with plans to graduate them to the RSL-Arizona Academy. The team will be based in Sandy, Utah and players will be identified through open trials held at the end of May. The U-12 squad will begin competing in June and play throughout the remainder of the year. The club will continue to be managed by RSL President Bill Manning, a U.S. Soccer A-license coach, and former professional indoor player Shane Jones.
“This is an age-group we have become familiar with since Bill started coaching them a few years ago,” RSL General Manager Garth Lagerwey said. “It is exciting to start a program here in Utah and hopefully we prepare these boys to graduate to RSL Arizona Academy at Casa Grande in a few years. We decided to start with this young age-group now, and anticipate in two years that this team and another based in Arizona will represent us at the U-14 level of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy League.”
The RSL U-12 team will participate in the U-13 UYSA State Competition League beginning in the fall. Additionally, the team will compete at the U-12 level in the Desert Premier Soccer Division of the Far West Regional League which is comprised of elite teams from Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Hawaii. The squad will also take part in the Surf Cup and other tournaments and exhibition games to be announced at a later date. The RSL U-12 team will also visit the RSL Academy in Casa Grande, Arizona and train for a week under Academy Director Martin Vasquez and Head Coach Freddy Juarez.
The RSL U-12 tryouts will be held over a week-long period at the end of May. Further details on the open trials will be announced at a later date. The final U-12 roster, which will be comprised of 14 full-time players and two alternates, is set to be finalized on June 2.
Other Major League Soccer clubs with U-12 affiliated teams include Sporting Kansas City, Toronto FC, D.C. United, FC Dallas and LA Galaxy.
RSL Academy U-12 Tryouts
Who: U-12 Boys
Birth Years: August 01, 2002-July 31, 2003
Where: Jordan High School, 95 Beetdiggers Blvd (just off of State Street), Sandy, UT
Contact: Teresa Nelson: email@example.com
REGISTRATION FORM MUST BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO TRYOUTS AND SENT INTO TERESA NELSON via email or mailed to the stadium. (9256 S. State Street, Sandy, UT 84070)
Real Salt Lake Academy U-12 tryouts will consist of several practices and scrimmages designed to show the coaching staff each player’s range of ability, skills, speed and athleticism. After the first two sessions, the group will be reduced to 44 players and then again after the Friday session, will be reduced to 22. The final roster will consist of 14 players with two alternates, and will be announced Monday, June 2.
A few quick facts about the RSL Academy U-12 Team:
· Training is 3x/week usually on M, W, TH from 6-7:30 p.m. at Alta High School in Sandy.
· The team will compete in the U-12 level of the Desert Premier Division of the Far West Regional League featuring teams from Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Hawaii.
· The team will play at the U-13 age level in the UYSA State Competition League.
· The team will participate in select local, regional and national tournaments. The summer/fall 2014 schedule will include approximately five in-state tournaments and trips to the Surf Cup in California and an East Coast tournament, while the winter/spring 2015 schedule will be announced later in the year.
· Players could miss two to four days of school per semester due to travel, and will be required to play on Sundays at tournaments.
· The participation fee for RSL U-12s will be a one-time $250 fee for the full year (June 2014-May 2015). While Real Salt Lake may cover some travel costs, parents should expect to cover the cost of their child for out-of-state travel, including air and hotel.
· All players will be outfitted in Real Salt Lake gear by adidas and will be introduced at the June 7 RSL game at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Jordan High School:
Tuesday, May 27 Wednesday, May 28
Thursday, May 29 Friday, May 30
America First Field:
Saturday, May 31 Sunday, June 1
www.RealSaltLake.com / www.RioTintoStadium.com / www.ESPN700Sports.com