We are hiring a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at our Sandy, Utah headquarters
About the Association…
Utah Youth Soccer Association (UYSA) was founded in 1978 as a non-profit organization with the view of being the best and only soccer organization in Utah to offer a diverse range of services and innovative programs to meet the needs of a diverse membership with varied abilities, backgrounds, and financial means.
UYSA has roughly 55,000 players participating in our state, regional and national leagues and competitions. UYSA has a Board of Directors that sets bylaws and policy, approves new member application, approves the annual budget, and guides the association strategic vision.
Reaching over 50,000 players across the state, UYSA’s governing board of directors, and responsive, and professional office staff, and caring volunteers work to provide:
- Coach background checks, education, and licensing
- Member insurance
- Player & Team Registration
- League scheduling and management
- Recreational and Competitive levels of play
- Olympic Development Program
- TOP Soccer for kids with disabilities
- 2 National Championship qualifying tournaments as well as sanctioned local tournaments
- National membership in US Youth Soccer and United States Soccer Federation
- Worthwhile sponsorships to aid in our operations for our membership
About the Role…
UYSA is seeking a qualified Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to lead the organization in support of our mission. UYSA is affiliated with United States Youth Soccer Association (USYSA) and the United States Soccer Federation (USSF).
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will be a collaborative, strategic and results oriented leader of unquestioned integrity, credibility, and character who brings experience successfully leading the operations or membership environment of a complex organization. The successful candidate will see an opportunity for rapid change and be engaged in the pursuit of organizational and cultural transformation both within Utah Youth Soccer Association (UYSA) and the youth soccer landscape. He/She will have a collaborative and hands-on management style and a commitment to setting and achieving ambitious goals and objectives.
The CEO will be a skilled and authentic diplomat who seeks to unify collaboratively and inclusively while building stronger alliances among different stakeholder groups. He/She will be a servant leader who inspires confidence in those whom he/she leads and will bring a strong track record of leading a high-performance organization. He/She will be responsible for coordinating activities, leveraging commonalities and identifying best practices among the various program verticals of UYSA to provide the highest level of service to the membership while enhancing value to players, parents, coaches, sponsors, and other stakeholders.
The CEO assists the Board of Directors in progressing both short and long-term goals and objectives to further the mission and vision of UYSA.
What you will do…
- Works collaboratively across the entirety of UYSA and our Member Organizations to lead, improve and continually assess relationships and engagement with Presidents, Administrators, Directors of Coaching and others on all matters that support membership growth and the growth of the game.
- Strengthens alliances with Organizational Members by acknowledging individual Organizational differences and listening to their perspectives, while helping to troubleshoot and overcome any local issues and barriers that impede membership growth and competitive advantages.
- Oversee all financial aspects of the organization by establishing a budget, approving expenditures and reporting financials to the Board of Directors.
- Seek and sign strategic partners and sponsors who providing funding, vision, and resources that help UYSA obtain our goals and serve our mission.
- Directs and leads a management team and organizational structure that enables UYSA to serve our members, deliver on strategic objectives and ensure the safety and well-being of all players.
- Serves as a strategic advisor to the Board of Directors in the development of new and innovative programs and events that empower, engage and develop youth, while driving revenue growth for the organization and benefiting the membership.
- Creates and implements a results-driven game plan for UYSA that engages staff and volunteers to achieve excellence organization-wide.
- Encourages, promotes and advocates for an organization-wide cultural climate that inspires and supports innovative thinking and problem-solving by staff, membership and volunteers that supports UYSA’s mission and promotes synergy and collaboration across the organization.
- Provides direction, support, guidance, and feedback, to senior leaders, managers, and employees of UYSA as they implement the strategic plan and address any challenges.
- Is concerned with succession planning and building people to be the best they can be and always learning and broadening their own capabilities along with those of their employees.
- Identifies internal and external mechanisms to aid the organization in generating new revenue streams, containing costs and drives operational efficiencies.
- Along with the Board President, serves as the face and voice for the organization, representing UYSA at key events.
- Serves as the primary operational resource to the Board of Directors and designated Committees.
- Inspires, leads and engages staff and volunteers as partners and champions. Directs staffing, training and performance metrics to ensure that employees and volunteers in the organization meet or exceed goals and expectations.
- Reviews contracts and work agreements with vertical leads to ensure strategic alignment.
- Prepares periodic reports showing the organization’s achievements, progress on strategic plan implementation, current initiatives, future projects, etc.
- Fosters a good relationship with, meets frequently with, and provides ongoing and timely input to the Board President and Board of Directors on progress of all operational and membership activities.
Why we’re excited about you…
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to constantly meet or exceed expectations while performing each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Must have or quickly gain a good understanding of Utah’s soccer community.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree (M.A., M.B.A, M.S., M.Ed.) or six (6) to ten (10) years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Has experience in managing an office of five (5) or more people and a minimum of five years organizational or business development experience. A Master’s degree in sports management preferred.
LEADERSHIP SKILLS and MANAGEMENT ABILITY
Ability to demonstrate decisiveness, self-motivation, and exemplary leadership skills. Ability to facilitate and adapt strategically to changing markets and implement vision of the Board to address the growth of soccer. Demonstrates a high EQ. Can and will listen and seek to understand. Able to be concerned for people and their growth, learning, and development in all pertinent areas.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to membership, public/political groups, and/or boards of directors. Ability to understand, use and train on various computer software and hardware system and databases. Ability to use the Internet and oversee web page content. Ability to write clearly about complex issues for public understanding. Ability to write persuasive communications to further the goals and objectives of UYSA.
Why you’ll love working here…
UYSA has a talented team of office staff, board directors, and committee members who all work with integrity and a vision to take us where we need to be. As an employee you will have access to office, equipment to work remotely as needed, vehicle, and other necessities. UYSA offers competitive compensation packages, health benefits, and a generous paid time off policy.
We are in Sandy, Utah, just 20 minutes south of Salt Lake City. Whether you enjoy skiing on the slopes of Park City or exploring the red rocks of Moab, Utah has no shortage of scenic landscape and outdoor activities.
The CEO will report directly to the UYSA President. This is a full-time exempt position working out of the Sandy, Utah office. Interested individuals may send a resume including salary requirements to the email address listed below by June 15, 2019.
Brian J. Smith, President
Utah Youth Soccer Association